Example: Information Collected for Statistical Purposes.
Below is an example of the information collected based on a standard request for a World Wide Web document:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xx - - [21/Jan/2000:14:45:54 -0700] "GET /farsite.html HTTP/1.0" 200 11045 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT)"
Requests for other types of documents use similar information. No other user-identifying information is collected.
- xxx.xxx.xxx.xx -- this is the IP address associated with the requester (you as the visitor). Depending on the requester's method of network connection, the host name (or IP address) may or may not identify a specific computer. Connections via many Internet Service Providers assign different IP addresses for each session, so the host name identifies only the ISP. The host name (or IP address) will identify a specific computer if that computer has a fixed IP address.
- [21/Jan/2000:14:45:54 -0700] -- this is the date and time of the request.
- "GET / FARSite.html HTTP/1.0" -- this is the location of the requested file.
- 200 -- this is the status code - 200 is OK - the request was filled.
- 11045 -- this is the size of the requested file in bytes.
- "-" -- this indicates the last site the person visited, which indicates how people find our site.
- Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT) -- this identifies the type of browser software used to access the page, which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing the pages.
Created By: FARSite Webmaster
Last Update: 02 Feb 2000
Prev. PageFARSiteFARSearchClause Logic